2.2L Cavalier Crank Shaft Position Sensor

GM High-Tech Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

2.2L Cavalier Crank Shaft Position Sensor

Tom Strohscher Tom Strohscher
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/10/14
08:03 PM

I have a 98 Cavalier.  Error codes tells me to get a new crank shaft position sensor.  It's $15 so I get it.  It should be easy to replace.  Well it was difficult to get my arm behind the engine and under the intake to pull it out.  It brakes off.  It's rusted in.

I took the fuel rail and intake off and all the other crap.  Now I can get to it a bit better.  I put a screw thought it and tied it to a long lever to pull it out.  I figure I had more then 100 pounds of pull on it.  It came out half way.  The sensor end seem too big to get through the hole.

If I drop the oil pan can I get the other half of the sensor out?
Will it get past what ever it's target is?  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/11/14
05:00 PM

going IN requires REMOVING the crank...

keep twisting. keep pulling..  wiggling.. it will usually come out..

your screw may have expanded the end and wedged it into the block..

how deep did you go with the screw..  hopefully not that deep..

usually a drywall screw is used when they break off..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
New User | Posts: 33 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/11/14
05:12 PM

if you still have problems.. come back and reply to this thread...

there have been some curious ground and fuel pump issues that cause crank and cam sensor codes and issues.. like stalling after a few minutes of drive...

there are ground buss connections down in the rocker panels under the door sills.. need to actually be unplugged and examined... there is a ground for the fuel pump in the trunk.. to the edge of the trunk floor...

there are 15 buck amp meters from HF in either 20 amp for the tiny fuses used in 98 models or 30 amp versions for the earlier larger ATO type fuse..

you can unplug the fuel pump fuse.. move it to the side of the test connector.. and monitor the amp draw of the fuel pump.. another forum had a member who's small GM was throwing either cam or crank sensor codes.  but the fuel pump was supplied off the same circuit.. when the fuel pump amperage went crazy.. instead of blowing the fuse it would drag the voltage down and shut off the cam and crank sensor power.. so the engine would die..

he had monitored the fuel pump amp draw for only a few seconds and figured that it was OK.. once he had replaced everything else and went back to the amp draw of the fuel pump .. he could see the normally 7.1 amps max.. start at 7.5 amps.. then increase quickly to 10 amps.. 15 amps.. when it got to 20 amps. the engine died..  this only took a few seconds...

hope this helps....
the HF part number
20 Amp Automotive Fuse Circuit Tester
Item #67725